A federal government website managed by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
200 Independence Avenue, S.W. - Washington, D.C. 20201
Texas Anti-Bullying Laws & Policies
What term is used in the Texas anti-bullying laws?
Bullying. Harassment is defined separately.
Do these laws cover cyberbullying?
What groups are listed under Texas state law?
There are no specific groups listed in Texas anti-bullying laws.
Schools that receive federal funding are required by federal law to address discrimination on a number of different personal characteristics. Find out when bullying may be a civil rights violation.
Is there a state model policy I can use to create anti-bullying policies at my school or district?
Texas does not have a model policy.
Which of the key components can be found in Texas anti-bullying laws and policies?
Present in Texas State Laws
DISTRICT POLICY REVIEW & DEVELOPMENT
DISTRICT POLICY COMPONENTS
NOTE: Click on the Key Components links to get more information about that component.
What are the Texas state laws that cover bullying?
- Texas Education Code Annotated §21.451 – Staff development requirements
- Texas Education Code Annotated §25.0342 – Transfer of students who are victims of or have engaged in bullying
- Texas Education Code Annotated §28.002 – Required curriculum
- Texas Education Code Annotated §37.001 – Student code of conduct
- Texas Education Code Annotated §37.0832 – Bullying prevention policies and procedures
- Texas Education Code Annotated §37.083a – Discipline management policies; sexual harassment
- Texas Education Code Annotated §37.123 – Disruptive activities
- Texas Education Code Annotated §37.124 – Disruption of classes
- Texas Education Code Annotated §37.217 – Community education relating to internet safety
For More Information
See “Coordinated School Health: Bullying and Cyberbullying” by the Texas Department of Education.
Information for this page was developed from “Analysis of State Bullying Laws and Policies – December 2011” (U.S. Department of Education).